View Single Post
Old 17th January 2016, 04:38 PM   #11
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
it is a composite sword but certainly no theater or parade sword.

Guillons, flat in the plan of the blade and spatulate in shape occur in the first half of the 17th century. see attachment of a Solingen 1 1/2 sword.
the engraving of the cross is very characteristic for the first half of the 17th century, several hilts with this style of engraving are known to me.
The blade in geometry seems to me early 17th century and seems to fit the guard like a hand in a glove, which may imply that the guard for is made
for the blade.

The pommel is earlier and belongs to a type of 1 1/2 half sword which appeared briefly in the 16th century. it certainly does not belong to the guard. see attachment for this type of sword, and for a similar pommel .
I will post an example of such a 16thC sword with this specific pommel later.

So basically you have an early 17thC sword, with an older pommel ( grip is a later replacement) ......not bad.

best,
Jasper
this is an example of the 16th century sword that belongs to your pommel, the same type of drawing of Hans Doering in post # 5
the blade with two short and one long Fullers characterizes several one+ a half handers in the 16th century.
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 17th January 2016 at 05:34 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote