Thread: Halberd?
View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2016, 02:39 AM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
An interesting question, and reasonable, given the typical katar blade design.

But then, I've seen similar forms on such Indian blades as the kanjarli, or the tiger-tooth jambiya, or the occasional chillanum, with of course the curvature associated with those weapons' blades. If I had to guess - and of course I do, as the actual answer requires information far beyond what I have available - I'd say the blade structure is of a form that cuts across a number of Indian weapon styles. I personally find it particularly attractive, and am drawn in general to designs of that sort of elegance of form

I agree completely with your point. Although the Katar and Zagnali look similar in some variants, there is no proof that the one developed from the other and vica versa.....There are blade forms and spike forms that could have design links to Katar and half a dozen other blades including Khanjarli and the ones you note... as well as to elephant spikes and a host of other styles. In a country with deep rich traditions of bladed weaponry it is hardly surprising that designs morphed though these were as likely to be accidental or parallel developments down the ages.

I was just looking at the Hafted Bhuj at http://www.simonray.com/catalogue.php?id=96 and how that can also be worth considering in the mix...and worth considering in the huge variety and ensemble of Indian Arms...

Meanwhile below in considering a link to Katar I found the circular chart showing Zagnal (just the loose heads without hafts) and Katar blades...and next to that some Hafted Bhuj style sometimes called Elephant Knives,often with a dagger concealed in the Haft and with some sort of carving of an Elephant in the design..
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 2nd June 2016 at 03:07 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote