View Single Post
Old 1st February 2016, 02:48 PM   #123
Houkura

Default Shipibo

Hi Folks. First post here. I found this site researching a club I purchased several months ago and figured now that I am enrolled I would share some photos of the club. From the Smithsonian website I found the club is what they call a "Shipibo Sword Club". It's quite heavy and has very sharp edges. Could cut through about anything. Very nice patina. The unusual aspect is where there is usually a sort of woven "rattan" covering on the handle this club has a native made cotton cover-probably a replacement but still pretty early. There is an old storage label from a "Bekins Moving" (an American moving company) in Albuquerque and the seller said it was in a small museum in New Mexico in the 50's. I collect Polynesian clubs and objects and a little African so this is out of my wheelhouse but it was so cheap and looked quite nice so I pulled the trigger. Any info on this club welcome. I've really enjoyed this thread and others-thanks... Sorry the photos are a little dark! I'll post one first to see if I'm doing it right...

Houkura is offline   Reply With Quote