View Single Post
Old 26th October 2014, 12:23 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Royston:

Thank you for putting up pictures of these dha of which there are very few around. I have seen maybe a half dozen in the last 20+ years but never found one for sale. I don't have any specific information to offer as to who made them, where they may be from, or what group used them.

However, based on certain elements of style, I think we can narrow the field a bit. The rather short hilt-to-blade ratio suggests we are dealing with a Burman or Shan sword that would more likely be found west of the Salween River (which divides much of Myanmar and Thailand). This origin is reinforced by the three primary segments of the hilt that are of roughly equal length: metal ferrule–wooden core–metal ferrule. Such hilts are more typical of dha found in Burma/Myanmar than daab found in Thailand or Laos.

The scabbards with metal chape and toe, the toe squared off, and metal bands holding the two wooden halves together are correct for Burmese/Shan origin, although other parts of SE Asia use similar arrangements.

The Shan/Tai are quite capable of making dha like these, and since they (and their closely related kin) can be found in Burma, Yunnan, northern Thailand and parts of Laos, this might suggest a fairly wide area of potential origin. However, the "Burmese" style of these swords suggest that if they are of Shan manufacture they would come from the more western areas of the Shan people, those living in Burma or Yunnan.

I would be inclined to label these as "Burmese" to indicate the area and style which best fit them, rather than an indication of a particular ethnic origin. As to why they are decorated with alternating red and black segments on the scabbards and red central areas of the hilt, I'm afraid I don't know but would like to find out also.

Would it be possible to post the pictures of your friend's other two examples. They might shed some additional light on their origin.

Regards,

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote