View Single Post
Old 12th July 2005, 10:30 PM   #15
kai

Thanks for your valuable info, Mans!

Quote:
Yes you right, that if the keris has characteristic/feature (Jawa = Ricikan) of Pijetan and Tikel Alis is called Tilam Upih. If the keris has just Pijetan, can be called as Brojol, etc.
So determining the dapur of blades with few features is straightforward (I have those charts) and only with more elaborately carved blades do we get those difficulties to determine the correct dapur as often shown in discussions, for example on this board?

Quote:
About the handle (Jawa = Deder / Ukiran), indeed that all of the ukiran in Jogja style are small size as nechesh wrote.
Thanks! I have to admit that I'm more leaning towards the northern Keris styles and haven't paid enough attention to the diversity of Keris Jawa and its associated terminology...

Quote:
And the number at pendok in the back side, commonly, Javanese Mranggi shown the day, month and years of the wrangka made. Not just at the old pendok. So, the 309 can be mean that this pendok made at September 30th.
Weird to put rather mundane info on such a fairly prominent place. The inscription is also very rough compared to the other engraving (cp. the foliage around it) - I'd expect more consistent quality if done by a specialized artisan... (Even if the pendok were a relatively recent replacement.)

Is there any cultural reason why the day of manufacture would be more important than the year? (Considering the lifespan of a sheath, I'd choose to inscribe the year rather than month/day if there was not enough space for a complete date.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote