View Single Post
Old 11th October 2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Nathaniel

Default Weighing in...collecting from other cultures...

Hello all!

I thought I would start a thread and hear peoples thoughts on on a semi sensitive subject..

Collecting antiquities from other cultures...I've met online/ in person collectors from the cultures I collect....some are very helpful and enthusiastic that others are interested in their culture, while others seem to lament about "their cultural heritage" being in foreign lands/hands. I can empathize to an extent....

I can think of parallel examples such the Elgin Marbles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Marbles
Interesting read...at the bottom there are points on both sides of the debate of whether the frescoes should be kept in England or returned to Athens.

Back to bladed antiquities...which parallels some of the same debate....We have all seen pictures of native museums that have wonderful preservation....and others who make us shutter to see active rust and open air exposure to the elements Some of this can obviously be explained by lack of funding or education of proper preservation...or a difference in cultural attitude towards preservation ...or differing opinions as to the extent of restoration a piece should under go...as we can easily find here among forum members...at one point it preserves at another point it brings out hidden beauty...and to others it drops the value.

Most of the best examples I've seen of many cultures weapons are from collections, museums in Europe and the US....which can be partly explained by bring backs from travelers or careers abroad...purchased at times when perhaps the native culture did not appreciate as much their "old things" or perhaps at less fortunate times when selling something to get by.

And the better condition of the antiquities due to better care...such as nice layer of oil applied to blade to ward off rust...or something as simple as a change in climate...such as a less humid climate compared to their country of origin. Some argue that if such items where not removed from the of origin it would have been lost to neglect, war, pollution, etc

On the darker end of the spectrum I have also seen items that have been stolen/ smuggled out of a country....items such as a severed Buddha head that was taken from temple in Northern Thailand...I find sickening...interestingly this was the subject of a great Thai action movie: Ong Bak - Thai Warrior. (This bridges of course into sacred religious items which should always be treated with respect regardless of ones faith and never violated in such way.)

I should also point out that at the same time many countries have laws against removal of antiquities from the country....but at the same time have a large population of antique shops?!?

What constitutes something that should not be taken out of the country? At what age does the item become an antique? Major items like a large marble fresco I think we can all agree on....but something like a sword, a knife or musket? these are everyday utility items...should they be considered the same cultural value as the marble fresco? Both are of value...part of course is weighed by the rarity.

Last edited by Nathaniel; 12th October 2010 at 01:41 PM.