View Single Post
Old 25th March 2020, 09:37 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Tim.

The metuk of this spear does seem to be Surakarta, the kinatah work appears to be of a quality that would permit a Surakarta origin, as does the pamor work, however, the the garap of the blade is not in my opinion able to be attributed to Surakarta, and the decorative motif is unlike any Surakarta work I have ever seen.

The landeyan is not in even the smallest degree similar to the style of landeyan used on a Surakarta tombak. It is usual for a Surakarta landeyan to swell in the middle and taper to each end, this landeyan does not. A Surakarta landeyan will normally have a brongsong or sopal (a wrapping or tube that functions as a ferrule), and a tunjung of metal (a tunjung is the butt cover). This landeyan does not have a metal tunjung, but the presence of the metal brongsong, which is of a style that would permit a Surakarta attribution, indicates that it should have a tunjung. My feeling is that this landeyan is a European made replacement.

I'm sorry, but I cannot attribute this spear to any origin with any certainty.

I have tried to crop & process the scabbard from this image, in order to see if I can attribute it to a Javanese origin, but the base image is too small to permit this.

EDIT

This landeyan has some rotan wrapping, so maybe it is not of European manufacture, but rather it is a landeyan from a different source that has been married to this brongsong and then fitted to the tombak.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 25th March 2020 at 09:52 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote