View Single Post
Old 20th June 2018, 02:21 AM   #1
kamals

Default Question on cleaning and partially restoring a Moroccan Nimcha

Hello, this is my first post. My name is Kamal. I recently acquired an antique Moroccan Nimcha, the mountings are all very solid but it was in frightful state. Completely covered with a thick layer of red rust, and the horn handles had started de-laminating.

I applied a copious quantity of olive oil to the horn handles, and wrapped them in plastic wrap to have them re-hydrate. Then I used a commercial rust remover on the blade with very light scrubbing with green scotch pads, and a brass brush.

I was able to get some corrosion off and can see some of the original metal, it is very heavily pitted, and a good deal of rust remained. So I caked baking soda paste and have let it sit about 24 hours.

Question, I have no idea of the actual age of the sword, I'm guessing it's early 19th century, and it really was in bad shape. Would it be bad for me to try to gently sand down the blade with high grit sandpaper (1000 or 2000) not to remove all of the patina, but just to give it a bit more of a polish and reduce some of the pitting, and to sand or plane down some of the horn handle?

I might have taken pics .. if so I can upload them. I'd have to ransack my phone a bit.

Thanks in advance !
kamals is offline   Reply With Quote