View Single Post
Old 21st January 2005, 02:59 PM   #1
wilked aka Khun Deng

Smile Maranao Datu? Kris

Mabuhay Y'all! I find my self once again in the Philippines after a long absence this time with an agenda in mind. To acquire some pieces that I should have got the last time I was here.

Let me pause right here and mention that I FINALLY got the opportunity to meet with Ian. Thrilled and awed are the first two words that come to mind followed closely by appreciate and gratitude. He was kind enough to spend the majority of a day walking me around to all his known "contacts" and more than that he generously shared his in-depth knowledge of Philippine culture and weapons. I will be eternally grateful. Might I add that he's "A DAMN fine looking young man" With his introductions (and the Philippines is nothing if not a nation based on personal relationships) I was able to pick up this kris which I daily am forced to pull from its tagub and slice the air with.

Nothing tells you more about a blade than cleaning it. While if Cato's book holds true, this is a Maranao kris blade (elephant mouth shape and position)and probably a fighting version of a datu kris (straight blade and hilt shape), I feel the blade is quite a bit older than the dress.

I didn't think that originally. The metal was quite tarnished and required hours to clean, the wood has a deep patina that is quite gorgeous in person and the ivory pommel had some kind of lacquer like bulid up that I was not entirely able to remove (and truthfully did not want to entirely erase). The blade itself was black, with active rust around the asang-asang.

After cleaning however I noted two things, the dress although extremely tarnished shows none of the bangs and dings of use and the blade has been reset using what looks like Blue gasket seal. However contrary to that the silver chasing has been worn almost off on the underside of the hilt which you would expect of an older piece and some of the copper wire bands have loosened with age so I am of two minds. None the less the artistry of form and the symetry of design continue to draw my eye every time I enter the room. WHOOO!

Thanks again Ian this piece is definately second only to my Bangkok era darb. Enough said, enjoy the pictures a first shot of the blade before cleaning and the rest speak for themselves.

AND after conservation

As a neophyte in Moro arms all comments are welcome.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote