View Single Post
Old 5th September 2017, 05:19 PM   #10
ArmsAndAntiques

Thanks for all leading the way on the references. I was able to find a number of plates in Jasper and Pirngadie Volume V which show an astounding assortment of these spearheads or toembak (as they're referenced in the volume). I post them below. Another assumption is that devoting essentially all the color plates to these examples must have meant that they had some significance either from the workmanship side or the cultural side, though I'll let the more knowledgeable forum member discuss that.

In the many "ethnographic: read non-European" metalworking cultures in which I'm personally interested in, I haven't seen such a wide assortment of figural metalwork, some of which I'd assume would have been smithed from pamor. I've only seen one of this style of spearhead in person and it was of an exceptional level of workmanship, but I've never seen any others in hand or even published as actual examples in photographs.

In any case, those of us who love iron work and may find these plates interesting.

The first post is the plate description followed by the plates themselves.
Attached Images

ArmsAndAntiques is offline   Reply With Quote