View Single Post
Old 8th January 2016, 01:35 AM   #14
Amuk Murugul

Default BELATED answers .....

Ariel,

- Basis of classification is simply the general shape of the blade.

- 'What " differences in the basic shape " are important? Are we talking about real issues of construction or just about local monikers of the same sword?’
It’s like asking: What’s the difference between a Tilam Upih and a Tilam Sari keris.

- 'For example: would you refer to it as. Lais type?’
No, I would not refer to it as a Lais type.

Maurice,

-'I suppose you have the names from the Leiden database, as I noticed some years ago that they use names like you are mentioning for these beladah belabang types from Negara/Bandjermassin area. Or are these later terms they are used to call them nowadays?’
I do my own research to my own satisfaction. ‘Beladah Belabang’ is not a term I recognise; it is meaningless to me.

Michael,

- 'It's interesting to see all slight variations of the same sword in one thread but what is the purpose of that you are giving each variation a modern Indonesian name?’
While the words may look Indo, they aren’t; after all, Indo is a derivative of a much older language.

- 'I am also a bit perplexed that you are using the general term "Parang Njaboer" for some of them. From where does this term come and what does it mean?’
I use the term for all the above parangs; the exception being the Pedang Parang, which is a parang-like blade kitted as a pedang and thus much lighter.
Njaboer comes from the old word ‘aboer’, meaning panic/desolation. Thus Parang Njaboer is a parang which causes a state of panic/desolation/confusion resulting from war.
- Baladaw Balabang means ‘knife of red soldier/guard-house’.
When one speaks of Parang Njaboer/Naboer, it implies southern Kalamantan and the Bandjar.
- Bandjar Djenawi is a pedang, not a parang.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote