Thread: Gile Dagger
View Single Post
Old 6th November 2023, 09:37 PM   #8
G. Mansfield

In my opinion, this gile is not from Yemen. Rather it is likely from the Djibouti Region with Yemeni influence. Yemen is only 32- kilometers through the Bab al- Mandeb Straight and during the late 19th century, French expansionism had attracted many workers and merchants from Yemen in a significant migration in search of better economic opportunities. By 1927, 45 percent of the population in Djibouti city was of Yemini origin. See attached article for reference. (https://sanaacenter.org/publications...ications/17445). It is also known that many Yemenite Jews had settled in Djibouti at this time known for their skills as silversmiths and craft jewelers, noted for their use of fine granulation and filigree work on Yemeni jambiya. In Yemen the silversmith trade was held almost exclusively by Jews from the 18th – mid 20th century. As with other production centers in the region, it has probably gone through an “assembly line” of skilled tradesmen of different vendors within the local market producing different components and pieced together (bladesmith, silversmith, leatherworker, handle carver, etc.).

As for the blade angle and hilt material, I have attached more photos. The handle is of rhino, not too translucent, only on the outer edges as the horn is quite thick. I have another gile similar although not as elaborate, while most are made of a hardwood, some are horn. The blade is similar to Yemeni jambiya without the large medial ridge through the entirety. The medial ridge here stops short of the point with two concavities present on either side of the ridge. This type of blade can also be seen in Afar spearheads. Here is an example from the British Museum showing a spear blade in similar form. https://www.britishmuseum.org/collec...Af1913-1211-39

-Geoffrey
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote