Thread: Visayan oddity
View Single Post
Old 1st July 2005, 04:04 PM   #10
zelbone

Smile

Hey morningstar! Those are the same bolos that Shelley and the guys picked-up in Hinigaran. Yeah, they came in a variety of blade forms and sure they were sort of crude and ugly, but I wouldn't hesitate grabbing one if I had to cross blades with another. They do the job and they do it well !

Spunger, I see what you mean. I didn't realize how small it was, but then again I wouldn't get hung up on what you would call it. Kutsilyo and lansitas would work and be totally acceptable, as well as sundang or sanduko. Again this depends where you are and what dialect you're speaking. Personally, I would just use the term daga...especially if I had a talibong, tenegre, or ginunting in my other hand as my espada .

I actually have a little daga very similar to yours, but with the deity hilt and a more bilog type blade. Check out my little daga compared to it's larger espada counterparts. While we're talking about Visayan dagas (or kutsilyos or lansitas), they also come in a variety of forms as well. I might have to post pics of several Visayan dagas I have...you know...to keep my left hand occupied .
Attached Images

zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote