View Single Post
Old 25th May 2016, 08:33 PM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ed,
Thank you so much!!! Brilliantly observed, and I confess I had not thought of Roman numerals used in repetitive linear motif. The note on the significance of numerology in Christian and Hebrew religions is indeed an important factor and particularly here in what may be invocative or commemorative.
It is interesting that the thuluth covered blades known in the Sudan are also using similar invocative repetitive style using Quranic phrases or wording.
I really appreciate your input on this, as your knowledge on the weapons of these regions is always key in our discussions.

Dave,
Thank you for the note and hope your trips have been successful.
As mentioned, often these kinds of situations are the case, and as this example was most interesting we were anxious to know your response as well as any further details.
Looking forward to your posts with any other examples as we continue to look into these Ethiopian inscriptions on arms.

It is clear that Roman numerals played a key part in decorating blades in these regions...I mean that is how my brain works relating the Christian situation in the Holy Roman Empire ~ but is that the case...? www.geez.com puts it a little differently Quote'' Ethiopic numerals have a familiar quality about them that seems to catch the eye and pique the imagination of the first-time viewer. In particular, the bars above and below the letter-like symbols appear reminiscent of their Roman counterparts. The symbols in between the bars, however, are clearly not of Roman origin. The shapes appear Ethiopic but only half seem to correspond to Ethiopic syllables and in an incomprehensible order.

The Tuareg/Berber symbol repertoire appears to be drawn from overlapping categories that include Eastern Arabic and Perso-Arabic numerals and possibly Western digits and Indian Devanagari numbers as well; Arabic letters; Tifinagh characters; and the Islamic Seven Seals (the
ism al-aʿẓ amor Greatest Name).

Are the numbers not a corrupted pattern derived of the Seven Seals?

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th May 2016 at 09:38 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote