View Single Post
Old 19th February 2020, 12:41 AM   #14
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Xas,
Hope you are fine!

The first blade has a convex edge. How you would call it? And would you agree by the estimated origin?

So the second piece is like guessed Ilocos (Sur?) and not a katana, how you would call it?

Third one a katana, any guess about the exact origin? It's 24.4 inch long overall, blade 18.5 inch and 0,31 inch thick at the base/handle. A very heavy sword.

Regards,
Detlef
Dear Detlef:

For the first- oh so it's convex, I'd guess it to be of Apalit origin then. I'm not familiar with the blade profile, so calling it as a generic tabak is fine =)

For the second, it's confirmed to exist (and is still being produced) in Ilocos Sur, but am still determining if it's also present in Norte (although not likely). It's termed as 'panggaw-at,' which is the Ilokano term 'for reaching.' For reference, I'm including a picture of my 2019-made sinan-Gabriela panggaw-at (along with a sinan-kapitan bulong pagay).

For the third, as I understand it, all katana-type blades originated from Apalit. I don't think any other area produced that specific type.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote