View Single Post
Old 25th June 2017, 07:40 PM   #18
rickystl

Hi Corrado.

That's a nice looking Algerian lock. I think I may be able to help. At least partially. I looked at all of my Algerian locks. And all have this hole, but with a tiny pin in the hole. I've never really noticed this until now. There is also a smaller hole on the bottom of the frizzen screw area opposite the hole on top.
Here is a "parts" lock I have. It appears what we call a frizzen "screw" is not really a screw. Even though the screw on the outside has a slot for a screwdriver, there are no threads in the hole where the frizzen screw seats on the inside of the lock.The one pic below explains it better. So for this conversation we will call the frizzen screw a frizzen "pin". LOL It appears that the tiny pin on yours is missing. Look close and see if there is a smaller hole on your lock below the frizzen pin area like the photo below. I'm guessing that if the frizzen pin is removed there would be another hole in the pin itself. Honestly, I've never taken on apart at this area to find out. That would be three holes total. My guess is that once the frizzen pin was inserted, a hole was drilled all the way through the top, pin, and lower area, and a tiny pin inserted what is now three holes, to keep the frizzen pin itself from working it's way out. So, if your tiny pin is missing, you can probably take a punch and small ball peen hammer and knock the frizzen pin out.
You would think it it would be much easier to simply thread the end of the frizzen pin and the hole in the lockplate, like the hammer screw. I can only speculate the reason for doing it in this matter. It seems they avoided making "threaded" screws or holes whenever possible, especially small screws. But the frizzen pin is not really small. Curious.
The last photo you posted, it does seem that the frizzen is sitting just a bit high in the cradle. Hmmm. Maybe the frizzen pin is slightly bent (?). This, possibly due to the tiny support pin missing (?).
If the tiny pin is missing, and the frizzen pin slightly bent, that could account for this gap between the frizzen cover and the pan. Actually, an easy fix - by the right gunsmith. All the frizzens on my Algerian locks close as normal. But they also all have the pin still in them.
Hope this helps. Let me know.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote