View Single Post
Old 30th September 2020, 12:02 PM   #27
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... With Storr being a silversmith, he is also listed as a 'hilt maker' in Bezdek ...
Yes Jim ... a silversmith making silver hilts, among other silver works. Why thinking otherwise ?

Quote:
... I have not seen this kind of cartouche with initials on other briquets, and most markings seem to be units or issuance...
Adding countless inspector poiçons to countless sword hilt makers, one can hardly pretend he has seen them all. Besides and convincingly, all countless pieces marked PAUL STORR shown out there have a unique layout, different than that in your briquet. The way i see things going on, i would take it as anedoctical that he would have developed a different cartouche for brass works ... just to defend my thesis.

The more extensive biographies that we find on PAUL STORR , the more distant stays the hypothesis that he engaged in copying and mass producing cast brass military armament.

Quote:
Thomas Stothard was a painter, illustrator and engraver, not a sword cutler, nor hilt maker ...
Precisely Jim; what i said is that he designed (not made) this SILVER HILT that could well end up being sculpted by Paul Storr ... as quoted.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote