View Single Post
Old 29th September 2020, 09:26 PM   #2
M ELEY

This is an amazing basket, Jim! Either way you look at it, such a sword could have been used in the "45". You bring up a compelling argument concerning the possible usage of French blades melded with whatever basket a Jacobite could lay his hands on (the Highlanders were also not above scavenging previous battlefields for weapons. That practice, certainly not unique to any particular people or conflict, could also be a factor). I know the fleur-de-lis was also found on some early English swords, however, so perhaps it's just an earlier blade? I've seen several of the English dog head swords of the 1680-1700 period with the 'de lis', causing confusion until I learned that some British makers also used them. We know that there were Scottish basket hilts presented to some of the French nobility for their support of the Rebellion, so again, isn't it possible that this sword might have a French connection to the 'Troubles'? That we might never know without some further clues. This is still far and away a great piece, Cap'n! Where you been hidin' it!?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote