Thread: Not a kukri...
View Single Post
Old 14th April 2012, 11:34 PM   #26
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
"Ricasso" is not really a ricasso, being that ricasso is a part of the blade. This thing is is clearly a swollen extension of the tang intended not to be covered by the grip, sort of like an intergrated bolster. It measures approximately .75" in lenght
Engravings dont appear to be a later addition but I have no way of telling for sure.

Thanks for the dimensions Stan.

Thickness of spine on blade & tang as well as the "disputed name area, in front of the hilt" Might also be interesting.

To my nind, A bolsters purpose is to "bolster" or support the blade handle join, generaly in the manner of a ferrule, normaly encircling at least part of the hilt/grip/handle area to prevent splitting & reduce lateral pressure in use to the blade, hilt area. At the very minimum it must be flush againt it to serve that function.. Eg. not out in front of the hilt!

A Riccaso is to to sometimes support the blade at its weakest point in the waist before the hilt & to provide an area to neatly finnish the blade bevel grinding,etc. { And according to some provide an area a forfinger can still be used upon.}

Your milage obviosly varies though.

Thats ok...Diversity is good.

Have a nice day....

Spiral

PS The "engravings" are hardly of the depth & engraving style found on Nepalese & Bengali kora/khonra Ram dao etc. Thats why I refered to them as scratchings. But there again your entitled to your beliefs.

Either way .. Enjoy... Its a curious piece indeed.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote