View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 04:10 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Three Interesting Filipino Bangkungs

Here are three interesting bangkungs from the Moro and, I suspect, Visayan, people. The three are all from the same collection and probably collected about the same time. Two appear to be Moro, one with a naga pommel and the other with what appears to be a very Malay influenced pommel with two Spanish coin inserts. The third appears to be Visayan, at least the hilt, also with two Spanish coin inserts to the pommel.

Though the length, width, and curvature of the blades vary very slightly, their profile and pattern-welded structure are essentially the same.

I found the hilts of particular interest. I have never seen Bangkungs mounted in this way. Of course the pommels are all unique, but the grips are interesting as well. Note that two have reptile skin grips, and the same two have as many as half a dozen added rattan and corded bands for extra grip and stability, and only one has a traditional Moro ferrule. The third looks to be mounted in a Visayan style, with a unique brass guard decorated in floral motifs.

Unfortunately, none of these retained their original scabbards, which probably would have told us more about them
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 10th May 2020 at 08:06 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote