View Single Post
Old 24th April 2019, 02:51 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am thinking the 'baton' notion is a bit of a red herring, and am pretty much firmly in accord with this item being something used by priests or other religious figures used in ceremonial practices rather than any sort of command symbol. While this example, by its provenance, well predates the Mahdist period, it does seem clear that the nature of the item is similar to later examples used as ceremonial objects used in the Mahdiyya period.

These seem to approximate forms of mace, and like many weapons which are effectively like the actual combat weapons they recall, they are of course used in a more figurative manner, to dispel evil, etc. I have learned a great deal more on the thuluth weapons, and find the suggestion that these may well have been used in military ranks to carry as talismanic standards etc. quite plausible . The fact that these are not typically sharpened may support that.

While these various forms of 'mace' have 'weapon' like elements in most cases, I do not think they are intended for necessarily 'military' context. They may well be intended as figurative 'weapons' in the manner of the 'phurbu' of Tibet for example. A 'dagger' to chase away demons.

While I am sure there were not 'thuluth' covered weapons in the Greek situation to which this example is noted as from, there were surely native priests or monks there with the tribal forces who might have used this accordingly.

To the Mahdi, while he was a Sufi, and effectively a dervish in the Summaniya order, he later changed to a different Tariqa, and as he began his Jihad, he forbad the use of the dervish term, insisting on the term 'Ansar'(=helper) for his followers. They remained mystics, so I believe the practices were very much as before. The examples of these ceremonial maces/staves which have added elements such as crocodile hide, small daggers etc. are in keeping with the weapons so decorated in his time and that of the Khaliph.

As in the field of battle, these Ansar fully expected glorious death, and the presence of priests, talismanic objects emblazoned with talismanic invocations and in their view certainly would have driven their fervor into action.

I hope I have recounted these things reasonably accurately from what I have found in researching these past few days and look forward to correction from those here far better versed in them than I.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote