View Single Post
Old 9th December 2023, 05:20 PM   #14
Nihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidJ View Post
A similar but better example sold at Olympia auctions in London on 6 December. Pic available on the website.
...And I was the one that acquired it! I got both of the kongkavaals that were sold at that auction actually. I can provide pics of them if people want when they get here. The photos attached below are the auction photos for each sword.

Also just a tangent since I have done more research into these odd swords since I first made my earlier posts: The proper spelling, I have found, is indeed "kongkavaal". "Kongk" is the tamil-malayali adjective describing something that is bent or dramatically curved, whilst "vaal", as established earlier in this thread, means sword. Dravidian languages are agglutinative mind you all, so adjectives and other "word modifiers" are simply attached to the beginning/ends of words (instead of being seperate words themselves), just like how prefixes and suffixes work in english. The use of a double "a" in "vaal" is just to emphasize the fact that a long/open "a" is how the vowel should be pronounced, and while it might seem silly or "extra" to some, it's not all that uncommon to see Tamil (and other dravidian) people online transliterate their language in this manner, taking special care in how they write vowels and designate emphasis (I have seen, for example, vaal written as "vaaL", with the idea being that the capital L shows how emphasis is placed on pronouncing that consonant).

All other versions of spelling this word are basically corruptions of kongkavaal, like "kongavela" and "congavellum", the latter of which is basically the anglicized version of "kongkavaalam", which is the form of kongkavaal used to specifically refer to a single, physical example.
Attached Images

Nihl is offline   Reply With Quote