View Single Post
Old 13th November 2015, 05:18 PM   #21
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist
Here is a fairly unusual one, the pic is a webfind, I forgot where from. I suppose it could possibly have a more domestic use but I think it is a weapon. I think bagh nakh are best used not to make a killing blow but to secure and hold a victim while your partner in crime finishes him.

This is the only one I have seen with a single claw, the image is from a 2012 auction, here is the description. They are ofen described as having four to five claws but Brian posted an image of one with two large claws and a third smaller one, his also has a small side blade.

http://auctionsimperial.hibid.com/lo...ian-bagh-nakh/

Quote:
A RARE NORTH INDIAN BAGH NAKH
An authentic example, very rarely encountered. Finely handforged throughout, with a robust hooked central blade that emulates the tiger’s claw for which it is named, flanked by two rings. With a profiled central plate, hinged and set with an eyelet to allow it to be lashed to the palm. Latter 17th century. Patinated overall. The Maratha ruler Shivaji famously defended himself against an assassination attempt by the Bijapur general Afzal Khan, using a baghnakh in 1659. Overall length 9.2 cm.
As for being a killing weapon, I think that in the right circumstances, such as taking someone by surprise and raking the unprotected neck area, arm, etc these would be effective, you would just have to inflict a damaging wound and step back until the victim bled to death.
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 13th November 2015 at 05:31 PM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote