View Single Post
Old 16th March 2005, 10:21 AM   #28
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
My interest is usually met with bemusement. Followed by intense boredom when I attempt to answer a question.
It happened to me with Portuguese friends, never with Chinese friends.
My design students were very curious in seeing some of my swords, as I used Martial Arts to teach design principles.

Quote:
I can never shake the feeling that I'm percieved as a "sword nerd".

All of the above, from various people, at various times. Unfortunately, many see swords as only deadly weapons or, worse, as toys and novelties. The deeper and more significant truths are there to be seen and experienced, but so many miss it.

In a sense, yes, but certainly less so in a country like the US which prizes weapons and the right to own them as fundamental.
I quickly gave up trying to explain what a hamon was and just go about other areas of interests to our guests

In fact one of my early and most successful students collects cars and he just became pale the only time I unsheathed a sword to show him.
Please put it away, he said. It is indeed a very primitive (in the sense of unexplainable) fear that some have, which is definitely a barrier to the loss of prejudices.

Very best

Conogre,

I am in a busy period. Please kindly allow me a later reply to your most interesting reply full of field experience.
I will get back later

Kindest regards.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote