View Single Post
Old 8th February 2006, 09:27 AM   #20
wolviex

Arrow

Dear All!
I'm happy to see discussion on this particular kind of hangers. I was always curious of this type because there are rarer and there is almost lack of any informations about them.
I haven't much time to watch discussion very carefuly, but if I understand well, we've got two problems.
First one is about genuineness of Valhjun's hanger. I'm not taking voice here about it, but I can say the hilt is quite poor. Such hilts were usually decored with engraving and repusee. But maybe such exceptions existed, though its out-of-style appearance is somehow strange.
But I will second ham's and Jim's thoughts about hangers. Such ones with "chinese" hilts existed, and were produced in Europe, probably in central Europe, and it was somehow connected to oriental fashion popular on courts. Below you'll find more examples. First and second one are from book "Hladno lovacko oruzje" by Dora Boskovic. First one was made by Clemens Weyersberg in Solingen, 1730-1740 y., second is dated on 18/19 c., so it's quite late. Other ones are examples from my museum, dated around 2nd and 3rd quarter of the 18th century. One is with yataghan blade, with etched inscription looked like pattern, other one is with badly damaged, broken blade, but you can see some magical signs in there, used mostly in Germany.
Regards!
Attached Images

wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote