View Single Post
Old 30th March 2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Anandalal N.

Dear Mark,

Your sword is indeed a very interesting one.

Sources clearly point to the Kastane Sword in the final form - lion head pommel, monster quillons etc., being found in the Dutch Period of Ceylon's history [mid 17th century to the late 18th century] as a sword denoting rank or authority. The British period comes thereafter and continued till the mid 20th century.

The lion form has significance to the Sinhalese people and has been utilized in their art, including in the Kastana hilt. However, the form that is found on your sword hilt is not one that I have come across so far. Particularly the form of half lion, half human - probably a shamanistic form where the human merges with the spirit of the lion in a trance state - could not be traced in Sinhalese art. Although shamanistic practices are still found in the country; with the influence of Buddhism such practices have moved away from the mainstream. Thus shamanistic art is rare in Ceylon. I am aware of one instance of deer headed human forms prancing about though there are cobra headed humans which represent not a shamanistic form but a race of people called the Nagas (Cobra).

Another feature of interest is that the quillon heads are facing different directions - one towards the point and the other towards the pommel. This too is not found in any Sinhalese swords I have examined and to me appears a distinct European feature. May be Jim can help here.

The wooden hilt with the wooden quillons is also curious. The quillons would certainly not serve its purpose not being of stout enough construction. I do not have the 'Price Guide" and 'Swords and Hilt Weapons'. Do they give the origin of the similar swords as Ceylon and in these words are the quillons also fashioned out of Ivory? Could this be an attempt at someone recreating a damaged hilt? The wood appears closer to rosewood of India?

Jim has a comment on a 'star' design. In fact the Dutch heraldry also has the combination of the four dots and star (probably a four petalled flower) as given in the illustration from a Design of a seal proposed for the Raad van Justitie of Colombo in 1666. Note the quillons facing different directions.

Mark - could you post a photograph of the entire sword? I am curious to know what the curvature and the point look like. Also what is the arm wrapped round the lion's waist? I am not getting a full picture of what is on the hilt and the guard.

Sorry for raising more questions than answers on this.

Regards.
Attached Images

Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote