Thread: 3 more Gunongs
View Single Post
Old 19th September 2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Rafngard

Smile 3 more Gunongs

Yep, I'm hooked on PI weapons.

Finally had a chance to take from photos of some of my new stuff, not an overcast day, but I did the best I could. I've had good luck with Gunongs recently, and I got each of these for a rather modest price. I think all of them should be post WII.

The first one was, per the seller, acquired in Davao city in 1993 seller described as "tiboli pattern," but that doesn't seem quite right to me. Maranao maybe? I'm not very good at this yet. I don't think this one is likely to have a laminated blade, but I like the okir. The guard and scabbard look like white metal. It needs a cleaning, and the pommel needs some love.

The second one I know nothing about the history of. A fairly simple piece. I suspect the guard is from a copper coin. The lamination is beautiful. I could stare at it all day. I think the leather on the scabbard is a latter addition. Not sure what the ferrule is made of.

The third one I think is Maranao (based on the okir), but I could be wrong. I think the guard and ferrule are horn. In direct sunlight, it's clear that blade is laminated, but could use an etch. You can kind of see this in the last photo.

I'm happy to hear any opinions about age, which culture produced these, what materials were used, or anything else.

Have fun,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is online now   Reply With Quote