View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2022, 01:19 PM   #2
Reventlov

Hello,
The pommel seems very unusual (and very large), I do not think I have ever seen one quite like it. I think type Q pommels are always made of only one piece, and generally have crosses with a complementary shape. Type L is overall quite different, apart from the curvature of the pommel.

The five "knuckles" of the pommel cap remind me of type K more than type O, but both of these types are straight and not curved, with one possible exception that I only know from an illustration, shared below. Type O is also usually quite ornate, with various kinds of surface decorations, while K often plainer.

The two-piece, curved pommel plus simple, straight guard actually reminds me more of type Y, though of course the shape of the pommel cap is unique, and I do not think this type is ever riveted in the way shown here.

Almost all sword inscriptions are read hilt-to-tip, so the "DC+" is more likely the beginning and not the end of the inscription, and probably should be read as abstract signs and not specific letters.

Best,
Mark
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote