Thread: THE WAR HORSE.
View Single Post
Old 24th October 2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
I picked up this image a while ago and thought it may be of interest on this thread. A contemporary aquatinted print by Colnaghi & Co., 23 Cockspur Street, London., printed 1st Dec 1813 entitled 'A PRIVATE of the 2D. or ROYAL NORTH BRITISH DRAGOONS (GREYS). It clearly shows the British Heavy Cavalry Troopers sword of the period i.e. the 1796 H.C. Troopers sword. This regiment, as you know, is more commonly known as the 'Scots Greys' and best known for their famous charge and capture of a French Eagle at Waterloo by Sgt., later Ensign Ewart as portrayed in the first painting in this thread.
Regards,
Norman.
Hello Norman,
At the famous charge they could do no more than canter into battle because of the rough ground but listen to it from the enemies viewpoint:

Quote" Even without attacking at a full gallop, the weight of the Scots Greys charge proved to be irresistible for the French column pressing Pack's Brigade. As Captain Duthilt, who was present with de Marcognet's 3rd Division, wrote of the Scots Greys charge:

Just as I was pushing one of our men back into the ranks I saw him fall at my feet from a sabre slash. I turned round instantly – to see English cavalry forcing their way into our midst and hacking us to pieces. Just as it is difficult, if not impossible, for the best cavalry to break into infantry who are formed into squares and who defend themselves with coolness and daring, so it is true that once the ranks have been penetrated, then resistance is useless and nothing remains for the cavalry to do but to slaughter at almost no risk to themselves.

This what happened, in vain our poor fellows stood up and stretched out their arms; they could not reach far enough to bayonet these cavalrymen mounted on powerful horses, and the few shots fired in chaotic melee were just as fatal to our own men as to the English. And so we found ourselves defenceless against a relentless enemy who, in the intoxication of battle, sabred even our drummers and fifers without mercy". Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote