View Single Post
Old 10th November 2010, 05:59 AM   #31
Amuk Murugul

Hullo everybody,
Just for the sake of completeness.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
..... I picked up some new stuff I would like some info/opinions about so I will show them in some new threads.
The first one is a machete that I cann't place very well. I looked in the book by Van Zonneveld and found some possibilities. For me it is a javanese piece.
Parang Bengkok, Ruding Lengon (I guess not) or most likely Telabuna.
The photo shows a common tool referred to by the Soenda as:Tjongkrang (a short chopper with a beak-like downward hook, i.e.billhook). Usually carried w/o sheath. Often carried by farmers on night-watch. Used for general chopping of grass/scrub..... also the hook was traditionally used for chopping off the tip of a coconut husk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Thanks for clarifying the name for this tool. I, too, called this particular example a golok when I acquired it. Then I found a nearly identical chopper in v. Zonneveld (p. 34) which he identified as a bendo from West Java. So, even Mr. v. Z. can make a mistake, or perhaps there is a regional variation in terms that differs from your own experience. In any case, it is very confusing for someone from a different culture trying to understand these terms from a distance.
The photo shown is that of a short golok Soenda.... or more colloquially referred to by the Soenda as:Bedog.
This example was made in Soemedang, in one of the villages like Tjikeroeh, Tjipatjing, Tjisoerat etc.....

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote