Thread: Moro shield
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2006, 06:37 AM   #28
Philip

Default Chinese

Sorry I'm a bit late to the discussion, but when LouieBlades posted a link to an eBay sale, I checked it and the shield did ring a bell. I'm convinced that the rattan shield that sold on eBay was not African as described, but a Chinese buckler called a "tengpai", in use until well into the 19th cent. The shape, manner of weaving, and the attachments for grasping attached to the concave back-side are typical. Most people would expect to see the painted "tiger face" motif that would immediately tip them off that it is Chinese, but I have encountered variations which include Chinese characters done with a brush in black paint, and others which (like this one) are perfectly plain. In the 1990s I had the chance to examine two plain ones in a large collection of Chinese arms in London; from their provenance, they were definitely not of African or Philippine origin.

Practically every tengpai I have seen has a smooth, shallow domed profile, although my colleague, Scott Rodell, has seen a conical example as depicted in the woodblock illustration that Nick Wardigo has so kindly posted. Some tengpai have round metal bosses in the center (similar in concept to those seen on Ottoman shields).

What strikes me as different about Bill's example which is the subject of this thread are:
1. The little "nipple" in the center
2. The pair of identical wood handgrips, in lieu of the usual single handgrip plus a wicker arm-loop.
These features merit further study and investigation. All in all, it's an interesting piece, and thanks to Bill for sharing it with us.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote