View Single Post
Old 11th May 2006, 02:34 AM   #18
Emanuel

Hello,

I've found some more information that generally answers the question of the use of brass on the takouba:
Aspects of the Use of Copper in Pre-Colonial West Africa
Eugenia W. Herbert
The Journal of African History, Vol. 14, No. 2. (1973), pp. 179-194

The author argues for the use of copper among African peoples as a rare, prized, magical metal. "...aside from its ornamental and status value, copper was also considered to have amuletic or magical properties, in the first case encouraging fertility, in the second warding off danger...copper and brass decoration is applied to Tuareg swords, both hilt and blade...Its purpose is to enable the sword to penetrate the magical defenses of the enemy [who is also wearing copper/brass as a protective measure], and at the same time to protect the bearer from the offensive charms of his adversary: 'A sword without copper on the hilt is destined for the demons of solitude. Sooner or later it breaks, if the owner does not loose it first.'...the Tuareg and Moors consider iron an impure metal, and neutralize it by encrusting copper and brass on [tools]"
For me this definitely clarifies the brass hilts, but I still do not understand why iron is regarded as an impure metal. I'll guess that active rust has something to do with it.

The takouba I posted really takes the concept to overkill.

I hope this is as useful to others as it was to me,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote