View Single Post
Old 1st January 2019, 04:31 PM   #15
Kmaddock

Well here is the gun and I have it all back in working order.

All that was wrong was the mainspring retaining screw which powered both the hammer and the trigger, was broken so I had to make and replace the screw as well as removing a lot of rust and crud build up

Took some effort to get into the mechanism but I got there in the end.
I had to drill out the hammer pin to get the hammer out as the screw head was mushed and this had to be then re manufactured but not much of a job really as I have a lathe.

I got the barrel unscrewed with a bit of persuasion using oxo acetylene torch and some cycles of hot and cold. Final quench was with diesel. which when you heat the treads up to around 200 Celsius and then syringe diesel onto the threads the diesel gets pulled into the treads and hence lubricate which greatly eases the two parts apart ( I checked thoroughly to ensure unloaded before this heating job)

So
19 inch barrel with tapered screw threads
No markings at all on gun except for 19 on the barrel, so this might be barrel length which would indicate non continental manufacture

The aging platina etc demonstrate to me that the parts were together for a v v long time

No proof mark I can make out and I do not think there was ever any makers marks

There is no mounting at all for a stock and in my opinion there never was one

Very unwieldy and impossible to aim accurately, small bead front sight
Approx 10 mm caliber

Nice smooth mechanism which cocks, locks and fires perfect

Any more opinions welcome
I am putting it down as a 1840. - 1860 takedown pistol for opertunistic poaching or hunting but with no stock it would probably have to be loaded with shot to have any chance of hitting game

Comments welcome

Happy 2019 to all

Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote