View Single Post
Old 14th April 2015, 03:22 PM   #16
kronckew

no, shake the trees, i agree. if they are all essentially interchangeable, it's modern. which standard tho?

even those pashtun i mentioned in no. pakistan use modern taps and dies. they buy them on ebay! if indian, they'd be late 19c if not 20th at the oldest, too detailed for currency, too impractical for heavy combat use, or hunting. i still think parade items. possibly religious, that could be disassembled for easy transport & reassembled for the festival.

a macro closeup of the stud & the thread profile, as measurement of the tpi pitch/diameters would be a good discussion item. different thread profiles were popular at different times and places, so might help date it if it's not a run of the mill V thread. even there, if it is a complete or incomplete, or spaced may be interesting. is it a 60 degree american/euro metric or a 55 degree british whitworth? fascinating for an engineer, not so much for a spear collector. it would be fascinating if it were a double helix thread. took me a while to be able to cut one on a lathe. or maybe a triple? the mind bogles.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote