Old 19th June 2019, 07:36 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi kai,

Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Ian,

Definitely make sure that the numbers are unique, e.g. starting with a different digit. It’s also common usage to put your initials in front of any code which helps to refer to collections later on. ...
My alpha-numeric system provides unique identifiers, but the numeric part may not be unique because I start each alpha-group from the number 1000 to avoid leading zeros.

Quote:
... As indicated by Ken, keeping records of buyers may pose a security issue in case of any data breach and will be illegal under some jurisdictions. ...
This is something that I raised with my tax accountant. He said that the ATO in Australia might want this information if I was audited and suggested encrypting the data, which I have done. Is there anything further I should do?

Quote:
... I’d suggest to always list the materials utilized as well as possible legal ramifications like CITES.

It seems preferable to specify all data separately for each component since age/etc. may differ widely: blade, hilt, scabbard, and accessories (if any). ...
This information is contained in my "Notes" column, which can become quite lengthy for some items. In addition to the materials used, I record whether the hilt, scabbard, etc. appears to be a replacement.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote