View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 09:17 PM   #31
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
I haven't seen any other Tajong hilts, but mine is very finely carved, with high detail. I honestly don't think it can go much better than this. Maybe the photos are not good enough but the carving quality of the hilt is top... in my opinion.
Marius, i don't feel that i can make any comments on the quality of you tajong hilt or even say for sure that it is a Javanese copy based solely upon the photos that you have presented. Other here more familiar with the form do seem to have been able to say more. That said however, i will say that the tajong form at the peak of its craft can be extremely high end in its carving and detail. I would recommend the you get a hold of the book Spirit of Wood if you are interested in seeing what i mean. While the carving on you hilt probably is very nice i would suspect that it probably is possible that there are indeed tajong hilts that are at a much higher quality level than the one you have on this ensemble.
But it would be nice to see some better, more detailed photos of it if you feel you would like to post some. They might help determine the actual origin of the hilt better than what you have already provided.
David is offline   Reply With Quote