View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:47 AM   #21
TVV

I also do not think Ariel's intent with this thread was to start a debate over the effectiveness of the eBay ban in the fight to save endangered species. I think he just wanted to let us know that starting January 1st, 2009, ivory hilted items will be harder to obtain and more expensive. The last part was pointed out in a very hard to dispute manner by Alan, actually.
Besides, we can argue our points of view in this thread forever, but I doubt anyone here will do anything to fight the ban. We may circumvent it by buying ivory (and rhino horn) hilted weapons from sellers, who disguise it, but since we (I hope, and I know for myself personally) are after genuine antiques, this would in no way threaten the existing elephant (or rhino) population.
As it was pointed out, at the end of the day it comes down to personal ethics and responsibility, and I for one have confidence in the members of this forum that we will continue to do the right thing, just like we have been doing it so far. For myself, I do not feel the intent of the ban was to stop me from bying ivory hilted yataghans that are a century and a half old, and therefore I really am not too concerned about the new rule.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote