View Single Post
Old 16th March 2005, 04:46 PM   #29
Spunjer

mr. cejunior,
it seems like you are well respected by some of the pillars of this forum. your questions are very thought provoking. if you may, i would like to answer those questions.

Quote:
Question 1
What is the real driving force behind your interest in swords? Was it initially based on an adult interest for ethnography and anthropology or was it originally based on and evolution from childhood or adolescent fantasy?
it was actually gradual. my fascination started while i was taking filipino martial arts. when i finally had the chance to go back to the philippines, i picked up some swords for souvenirs. didn't mess with it for awhile until last year, when i took it out of the closet and did some research on it. luckily, i found this website, and from then on, learned tons of info from some of the friendliest people i've met on and offline.

Quote:
Question 2
Is your particular interest in ethnographic weapons based on any specific reason?
a. such as being a national of the country from where those weapons are originated?
b. if not, what particular reasons are behind your attraction?
i would go with a.). i left philippines in my early teens an am now currently residing in the states. seeing these swords on my wall kinda give my home a piece of the old country while at the same time it gives my kids a daily reminder of where their other half came from.

Quote:
Question 3
In some tribes of Africa, smiths are outcasts that live outside the village.
They are uncircumcised, therefore they posses both the masculine and the feminine, symbolically having the entirety which confers them, as in the Congo culture, the necessary protection to work iron, a product of Mother Earth's womb extraction.
This being said, some shapes may have a magical connotation. And I am referring specifically to the Kris, be it Indonesian, Malay or Philippino.
My question is divided into the following:

* does the snake preside over its shape?
* if that is true, does it mean to confer speed or just magic or some other meaning?
* what is the meaning of the word kris?
i'm really interested to know the answers to those questions as well. since the moro kris was derived from the neighboring countries' swords, i don't think any pilipino can answer that . the indonesians would prolly know, tho.

Quote:
One other question I deem important.

A. Do you feel that you are frowned upon by the non initiated sword average citizen, friend, family?
it's funny you mentioned that. i live in the midwest, known as the bible belt. the second ammendment in this here part of the country might as well be the elevnth commandment. needless to say, a lot of my friends are gun collectors, so they don't have a word to say about my hobby. as a matter of fact, it's starting to peak their interest. the way i approach this, is i tried to tie up the history of these weapons to theirs, i.e. krag vs. kris, the .45, etc. they actually appreciate seeing the weapons "of the other side".

Quote:
B. How do you feel about the social acceptance of swords?

* frowned upon
* lack of interest
* fear or weariness?
as a budding collector, i haven't heard any negative comments from people that knows about my hobby.

Quote:
C. Therefore, do you think that swords are placed in a socio-cultural ghetto?
in my current situation, i don't it is; on the other hand, martial arts in this here neck of the woods could be in that category...

once again, welcome and nice to meet you.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote