View Single Post
Old 16th March 2005, 10:08 AM   #27
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
A very thought-provoking thread, Antonio.

I've always liked swords and other weapons. 20 years of martial arts training combined with having a policeman for a father (guns, knives and other weapons were common in my home growing up) further stimulated my interest.
As an adult, my undergraduate studies in sociology and anthropology meshed well with my martial arts related interests. The end result was an interest in collecting edged weapons.
Hello Andrew ,
Most kind of you. What an excellent blend of interests. I'm glad you are well versed in anthropology and sociology, for evident reasons .
We could never had guns here, in the past. Even now it is very difficult to obtain.

Quote:
I'm a Korean stylist, so I ended up looking elsewhere for edged weapon inspriration, as information on Korean weapons was, at the time (pre internet for me) nearly non-existant. Japanese sword information was, comparitavely, abundant, and I began collecting gunto. I prefer older, "real" pieces, and I could afford these on a student's budget.
Are you talking Gumdo or Taekwondo? I am very curious
I may reserve a surprise for you in about a month's time

Quote:
A few years ago, I picked up my first dha from ebay. Upon reciept, I was immediately attracted to the feel and look of the weapon, found this site through Google, and have liquidated nearly everything else in my collection to make room for more dha. In my studies of dha, I've grown to love learning about the peoples and cultures that use(d) them, and their history.

I'll defer to others more learned on this.
I find the dha and the kris some of the most interesting swords, which carry a very genuine quality and flavour. Of course the creative side of me had to intervene in the dha I designed in a contemporary way that I hope one day to demonstrate how it was devised to be used.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote