View Single Post
Old 15th March 2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Bill

Hi Antonio, 1. Ethnography/Anthropology, from a very novice aspect without education in either. 2. Married to a Filipina. 3. Love to know the answer to this. The word Campilan is recorded by Pigafetta to describe a cutlass from Cebu, from a dialect that now has only a little in common with Cebuano; but it seems to have stuck as to describe a sword from Mindanao. Could "creese" have been simular, European translation from one dialect that became universal for Europeans to communicate with different groups. Personally I think the wavy blade developed from function rather than ritual or magical reasons. Here is some wild speculations. The cutting abilities of a wavy blade was good for removing heads. Perhaps the wavy blade was introduced from Indian or Arabs & adapted for function. Perhaps the Minangkabau had some role. Did they learn thier smith & mining from India or Sri Lanka? They appear to be one of the many "waves" that spread through region. As far as the "Moro" kris is concerned, they may have well had some influence as they had settlements in both Brunei & Celebes. Upon the arrival of the Europeans, Brunei seems to have been well armed, notable populations of both Chinese & Bugis & dominated most of the PI; at least untill the Spanish attacked them. Pure speculation but I believe the Bugis played a large roll with both the Keris & Kris but if they did, that role seems to have been lost. Ritual & supernatural aspects of the weapon seem more likely to have been processed in, following function, unpopular to say that, but my opinion.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote