View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Karud may be another example.
Elgood and Flindt admitted that they could never find the true origin of this word and suggested that it was just a misheard spelling of "Kard" by the early Europeans.
I did a very non-scientific test: asked an Iranian girl working with us to show her multiple Iranian relatives a photo of "Karud" and name it .

Well, all the younger or female members of her family called it "khanjar" ( which it is obviously not :-), but older males uniformly called it "Kard". Perhaps, Charles' conundrum is due to the fact that he spoke with the youngsters of his age:-) , who were into iPads and Apple watches, but just plainly ignorant about bladed weapons. Those children....

I asked my co-worker to pronounce the word , and she did it several times. Each time I thought I heard a hidden vowel sound between the two consonants:-)

Paging Professor Higgins :-)
It is true. The Indians pronounce the word "kard" as "karot", "karod", "karud" too. As far as I remember in Ain-i-Akbari a knife that worn on rope (that is kard) is called as "karaed".
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote