View Single Post
Old 24th August 2016, 09:25 AM   #126
kamachate

Hi all. Thanks for this useful thread. Here is a companion from me:

Yes, the word seshkho (сэшхо) is the Circassian word for "big blade", even in modern Circassian. "Se" practically means the "edge", and there are a series of words derived from it, such as: se+shkho (сэшхо) = big blade = checker, or, se+zii (сэжъый, шэжъый) = small blade = knife (these words are still in daily use).

However, and I think this is important, seshkho is not the only word for "sword" or "shashka" in Circassian. Seshkho, or "shashka" is the word for this type of blade, and the word for "saber" is "chate" (чатэ) in Circassian. "Chate" is again a single handed, single edged, curved or strait sword, but with a longer blade and bayonet-type tip, with small crossguards, which is to say, a Khevsurian sword or an "ordynka" or "Tatar style saber" But, the word "chate" "should" had been used for the double-edged and strait swords before the development of the sabers, for there is no other word for sword, or saber, or checker in Circassian (as far as I know ). An other proof for this: Big kindjals (strait or curved, but longer than 60 cm) are called khamachate, literally kindjal-sword, which have nothing to do with the ordynka type

Older Circassian sagas (before 17th century - and especially the Nart sagas) never mention "shashkas", but frequently talk about the heroes or heroines, and their "chate"s and their wonderful features. This is quite reasonable if we all agree that "shashka" is a later invention, but is also a proof that it does not mean "sword" or "saber", a shashka (or seshkho) for a Circassian is just what it is, "a big blade".

About the "origin", I am quite sure that the word "shaska" derives from the Circassian word, but I can not be that sure about the "ethnic" origin of this weapon. As we know, the first and strong contacts between the Caucasian tribes and Russians began with the Circassians, and most features of the Caucasian culture are known to be "Circassian" to the Russians (today Georgian ). A very good example is the traditional and general Caucasian coat with cartridges, which is called "Cherkesska" in Russian. The Russians must have adapted the shashka from the Circassians with its original but deformed name, but the "invention" of this blade well may be a different story

Thanks again for the thread.