View Single Post
Old 24th November 2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

To the wind!

I am always grateful to Stephen for posting such intriguing examples of the kaskara, and the opportunity to do research to learn more on them, in particular of course the markings. Though there are not many out there who choose to follow this field, or at least, who make themselves known to us, I enjoy seeking as much as I can find and sharing it here.

I think with this example, most unusual with this pentagram star, there may be a great deal of apprehension in coming forward with suggestions. Beyond the most obvious, which is the almost cliche' associations of these kinds of stars to varying aspects of occultism, there are distinct associations to certain symbolism aligned with Islam. Like many, if not most, symbols, interpretation depends on those who interpret them, and which application appears correct.

Although I cannot claim any authority or expertise in these subjects, I am willing to research as much as I can, and try to add suggestions. I have indeed spent many hours looking through what resources I could to move forward with these, and hopefully at least provide a direction for thoughts on this unusual marking. Naturally, my writing is seldom brief, so for the intrepid readers who do chose to do so, I thank you.

When this kaskara was first posted last August by Stephen (as linked) it was noted that the blade did seem European, and I am inclined to agree with Mr. North, it could well be North Italian, and possibly early 19th century as near as the turn or slightly earlier. Cavalry swords of this period were often long and straight for dragoons, and the fuller extended full blade length to the tip, if I understand correctly was termed 'center point'.
The talismanic grouping of celestial symbols is characteristic and widely used on trade blades, and it is most curious that the sun face is absent, and in particular is the point of discussion...why the pentagram or five point star?

It is worthy of note first of all, that this symbol is by no means isolated to any particular religion, group or idealism and is extremely ancient, as is the six point star. As it appears on a kaskara, with an apparantly earlier European trade blade, and is applied incongruently with acid etching, it would seem to suggest that this was done in the latter 19th century even early 20th. In these times of course, this style of acid etching was well known on kaskaras during the Mahdiya though typically with thuluth style etching of Islamic script.

The star itself is of interlaced character, and remarkably similar to the device in the center of the Moroccan flag. While this had formerly been a six point star, it was changed by Royal Dahir (decree) on 17 Nov 1915. The reason for the change is unclear, however it is plausibly suggested that it may have been to represent the Five Pillars of Islam. Naturally this may be disputed as there are various perspectives since the actual meaning was not specified in the decree. It is interesting that this type star is termed the Seal of Solomon much as is the six point star.

Obviously, the kaskara is not known to have ever been used as far west as Morocco, nor in Algerian regions where the takouba was widely known. This would not preclude however, the adoption of this or other symbols diffused trans Sahara by trade, tribal interaction and Pilgramages eastward.

The political climate in the North Africa post Mahdiya was tumultuous to say the least. As WWI evolved, by 1915 there were complex intrigues taking place between the major powers involved, and most certainly among the tribal groups and Islamic sects and factions throughout regions overall.
The Tuareg rebellions in Saharan regions against French dominion in 1915 and 16 , and concurrent struggles of the Senussi movements against the British and French were in great order fueled by the Ottoman-German alliance. In these years Darfur was powerfully involved, and the sultan, Ali Dinar, was killed by the British in 1916.

I would suggest that this star may have been applied in this fashion as a symbol reflecting the concepts possibly held in the example seen on the Moroccan flag of 1915, suggesting a distinct awareness of the form in the Islamic factions caught up in these geopolitical conflicts. A further thought, and admittedly purely speculative, is that this is placed directly above the crescent moon, and the two symbols are notably present in the Ottoman representation on their flag.

With regard to the stamped star on the other example, I would consider it is most likely a representation of commercial device of early 20th century, and quite possibly taken from British trademarks or symbols during the Sudan occupation. It seems I have read of cases where natives often adopted these symbols and used them talismanically on huts over doors and other similar applications. The influx of British commercial goods would certainly have increased potential for such incidence.

Hoping this information and my suggestions may be useful in bringing forward thoughts or discussion, corrections (by all means!). It is a complex thing trying to read into these markings, and any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote