View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
That's a very nice sword. That continuous taper is also unusual for Kaskaras. Keep in mind that there were many jews nearby Ethiopia where this blade may have come from and there was also a jewish community in Khartoum, no doubt of artisans and traders.
Excellent and very astute observations Michael, thank you, and thought it a good idea to look further into the possibilities as well. As you note, there was an Jewish ethnic group in Ethiopia whom I found have become known as the Falashas, however they are more preferably called by thier name for themselves, the Beta Israel.

This group were largely artisans and craftsmen and apparantly locally regarded rather derisively in a caste oriented perspective, with the term 'falasha' having a meaning something like 'outcasts' in Ge'ez, the early language in Ethiopia. They were apparantly blacksmiths for the Christian rulers in then Abyssinia, and as such of course did make some weapons and mount blades traded into the regions. It does seem that culturally this kind of regard was often held toward blacksmiths in many cases.
It is noted that the area they were largely situated in was mostly around Gondar.

The presence of a Jewish community in Khartoum is not surprising, and it is well known that Jewish artisans and smiths were present in Morocco as well, and often were present on many trade caravans across the Sahara. Despite these pronounced presences, it is doubtful that the Magen David appeared on weapons marked as Jewish symbols in my opinion.

Though the kaskara is known in Ethiopia, particularly in Danakil regions and in Eritrea, I am personally not familiar with any actually made in Ethiopia nor by the Beta Israel. It is known that many trade blades from England of course did have the familiar Star of Solomon (usually in the Wilkinson proof stamp surround) as well noted by Teodor, and the Lion of Judah was typically on the blades, but I dont know of any marked in this double stamped manner.

As always, looking for other variations, exceptions.

All the best,
Jim

Teodor, thank you for the kind note on my comments as well
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 22nd November 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote