View Single Post
Old 17th June 2022, 08:00 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Dima I recall the fantastic research you did on these while writing your book, and how much I learned about my own 'mysterious' Afghan sword during conversations with you then. I had obtained my example many years earlier, at a time when these were not much around, and there were wild speculations about what they were, the most bizarre calling them 'Greek cutlasses'! among others.

My example has the date 1896, though it seems these were produced from 1893-1903, I presume with state stamps (Mazar i Sharif) marking them they must have been produced or at least entered and assembled in the Kaar Khaana e Jangalak (Machin Khana) in Kabul.

It seems like most of the production of arms at the Machin Khana was rifles, I believe Enfields, and I always wondered about the very 'sword bayonet' styling of these hilts, thinking perhaps the rifle making context inspired the hilt form with wood and steel. The open pierced knuckleguard carries the theme, along with curled back terminal (swan neck) recalls some paluoars so an interesting hybrid.

The Machin Khana though seemingly begun with British support after the end of 2nd Afghan War in 1880, does not seem to have produced much or at all until end of 1880s, and the earliest known examples of these was 1893.
It does seem the basic hilt form existed by 1879, from the photo that year showing Daoud Shah wearing one with similar hilt.

The example (in previous linked thread) with spurious 'made in Enfield, 1857' marking is interesting but not helpful in date of origin of the hilt form.

I have been under the impression that examples of these with the brass hilt but same form were most notably of the 3rd Afghan War (1919) period. As has been mentioned, it would seem these and many of the variations suggest outfitting by private vendors and local artisans, which has always been prevalent in all Afghan tribal areas.

The numbers of examples of these hilts on traditional 'Khyber knife' (silliwar) blades suggest these were assembled for the numerous tribal levys (irregular forces in accord with British army), and the state stamp on the blades seems to support this.

I am recounting this from memory mostly, and from my understanding as recalled, so I hope you will pardon any errors and correct as required.
This was fascinating and important research and I want to establish correctly for my own awareness and others reading here.

In pics, the first is the 'tribal levy' type with native Khyber blade; next with scabbard is my 1896 example, then the state stamp.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote