Thread: Heinrich Kolle
View Single Post
Old 15th July 2022, 07:51 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The idea of the stylized '3' at this point for me is a bit out of reach, the image of the punzone is too pixelated for me to make out, also it is clearly much degenerated.
However, the 3 as a mark or element of punzone makers mark in Toledo seems to exist, and not only to Sebastian Hernandez, who has two recorded (59,60). ..but also Ignacio Fernandez (#69). What is puzzling is that it is a number, while many others use capital letters which seem to have nothing to do with the initials of the maker represented.

In the many years I have studied the markings and inscriptions on sword blades, I have of course encountered a great deal of opposition as this topic is far too esoteric for most scholarly attention. It is greatly subjective as these matters were mostly components of occult, magic and secret groups and followings.
Clearly we can only speculate, but it is intriguing to consider the various plausibilities, and occasionally some compelling possibilities have come to light.

With this punzone, as with many, the most reliable perspective is in noting the shape overall, and observing the spurious use of these as often seen. Coupling that with the blade style with comparable period examples is probably the best course.

Interestingly, the use of the number 3, I have seen on the blades of Thomas Gill, a Birmingham, England maker on some of his blades at the forte in the 1780s,90s. This does not seem to correspond to other markings which would suggest any administrative protocols.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote