View Single Post
Old 8th July 2016, 06:40 PM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Satrio,
Thanks for your input and please continue to participate in this forum, we need more Indonesian members to mitigate the Westerners' opinions
If you have a good specimen of genuine Sumenep Dalem blade, please show it to us for reference.
Regards
Hi Jean. Please forgive me for making this point and i do realize that English is not your first language, but i am not sure that the word "mitigate" was quite the word you were looking for here.

mit·i·gate
verb
make less severe, serious, or painful.
"he wanted to mitigate misery in the world"
synonyms: alleviate, reduce, diminish, lessen, weaken, lighten, attenuate, take the edge off, allay, ease, assuage, palliate, relieve, tone down
"the worst symptoms have been mitigated"
antonyms: aggravate
lessen the gravity of (an offense or mistake).
"he would have faced a prison sentence but for mitigating circumstances"
synonyms: extenuating, justificatory, justifying, vindicating, qualifying; face-saving; formalexculpatory
"if not for mitigating circumstances, he would have been convicted"

We are, of course, always welcoming of people from all cultures to join us in our conversations on keris. As Alan has pointed out however, being of the Indonesian culture does not necessarily give more weight to that person's opinions, beliefs or knowledge of keris culture just as a Frenchman is not necessarily more knowledgable of fine wines. Weak analogy perhaps, but hopefully it gets the point across.
David is offline   Reply With Quote