View Single Post
Old 12th August 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Red face Fernando K post #2 original text ... and a atempt to a better translation

Hello, Matchlock
You will pardon me for using the translator resource, but I can not write in English.
On the first lock, could it not be a wheel lock, transformed by X key reasons into a matchlock?
If this was a wheel lock and we remove some elements and introduce distinct ones, it would become what we have now.
I have not had my hands on the piece, I can not apreciate all the transformations and I can only judge by the photos you've uploaded to the forum, but I note two things:
The lever of the pan-cover has the same shape of a wheel lock lever, with a part that expands to approach to the axis of the wheel, to allow its crank to move it.
Its spring, which on a wheel lock lever acted on its lower lobe, from the bottom to top, to keep the pan cover always closed (except when the wheel starts to spin ) has been moved to act on the lobe upper part, from top to bottom, so that it tends to keep the cover-pan always open, unless you close it manually and make it lock with the sear.
One question: I do not see the spring that would keep the sear against the plate interior face, keeping the cover pan closed, its front part appendix appearing out of the plate, to provide the retention of the serpentine movement.
Affectionately from Argentina. Fernando Keilty

Hola, Matchlock
Perdonarás que recurra al traductor, pero no puedo escribir en inglés.
Respecto a la primera llave ¿no podría ser una llave de rueda, transformada por X razones en llave de mecha?
Si esta fué una llave de rueda y le quitamos algunos elementos e introducimos otros distintos, quedaría como lo que ahora tenemos. Yo no he tenido en mis manos la pieza, no puiedo observar las transformaciones, y solo puedo opinar por las fotografías que has subido al foro, pero hago natar simplemente dos cosas:
La leva del cubrecazoleta tiene la misma configuración de la leva de una llave de rueda, con una parte que se ensancha para acercarse al eje de la rueda para que su cigueñal la mueva.
Su resorte, que en la leva de una llave de rueda, actuaba sobre su lóbulo inferior, de abajo-arriba para mantener el cubrecazoleta siempre cerrado (salvo cuando la rueda comience a girar) ha sido movido para que actúe sobre la parte superior del lóbulo, ae arriba-abajo, de manera que tienda a mantener el cubrecazoleta siempre abierto, salvo que se lo cierre manualmente y se lo haga enganchar con el fiador.

Una pregunta: No veo al resorte que mantendría al fiador contra la cara interior de la platina, manteniendo al cubrecazoleta cerrado, y su apéndice de la parte delantera asomándose afuera de la platina y sirviendo para detener el movimiento del serpentín.

Afectuosamente desde Argentina Fernando Keilty
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote