View Single Post
Old 17th September 2010, 05:52 AM   #11
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Thanks for the pictures. Nice. Crap! - Next time I am in Marrakech I will go for the antique shops. Impossible to find anything in the medinas - I tried, even in Fez.......
Thanks for the comments, Jose. Am now in Barcelona and will be in Madrid soon, to visit museums where I can find Filipino weapons. Am retracing the steps of Engar and Carlos

I'll surely post pics of Fil. blades I'll be able to take, following the guidelines of those museums.

As a side note, after being in Morocco and reading this thread, all the more it's getting clearer to me how a museum curator can do the honest mistake of placing together the blades per pic below.

This Wikipedia article is also helpful, and I quote:

In Latin, the word maurus (plural mauri) means coming from Mauretania, a Roman province on the northwestern fringe of Africa. In the Medieval Romance languages (such as Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian), the root appeared in such forms as mouro, moro, moir, and mor. Derivatives are found in today's versions of the languages.

Through nominalization, the root has taken on a variety of meanings. Moreno, from the Latin root, can mean "tanned" in Spain and Portugal. In Cuba and other Spanish-speaking countries, as in Portuguese-speaking Brazil, it can mean "black person" or "mulatto"[citation needed]. Also in Spanish, morapio is a humorous name for "wine", especially that which has not been "baptized" or mixed with water, i.e., pure unadulterated wine. Among Spanish speakers, moro ("Moor") came to have a broader meaning, applied to both Moros of Mindanao in the Philippines, and the moriscos of Granada. Moro is used to describe all things dark, as in "Moor", moreno, etc. It was used as a nickname; for instance, the Milanese Duke Ludovico Sforza was called Il Moro because of his dark complexion.

In Portugal and Spain, mouro (feminine, moura) may also refer to an enchanted moura; the word derives from a Celtic root *MRVOS, (Gaulish: marvos), meaning a dead or supernatural being. The being, a female, was said to have golden or reddish hair and a fair face; it combed its long hair with a golden comb. Such "women" were said to have built the Paleolithic dolmens and megaliths and to still live in them. They were believed to have magical properties.[5][6] From this Celtic root, the name moor is also applied to unbaptised children, meaning not Christian.[7][8] In Basque, mairu means moor and also refers to a mythical people.[9]
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote