View Single Post
Old 18th June 2018, 03:46 AM   #7
Rafngard

Hello Ian,

Two things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
As we talk more about the similarities in style among knives from various groups in Central Luzon, it is interesting to note that the sheath on my example that you linked to is similar to leather sheaths on knives that are more typical of an Ilokano style.
Firstly:
I didn't notice it until just now, but the design (I'm not sure if "okir" is an
appropriate word in a Luzon context) on the throat of the sheath is near identical to the design on the sheathes of two Luzon blades that I have, a tabak and a matulis, previously presented the last picture here. Has anyone done much of a study on these designs?

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...96&postcount=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Perhaps we are coming to a point where we need to speak of a regional attribution, "Central Luzon," with sub-groups related to specific towns or ethnic groups. Fernando and Jose have noted that not all of the knives we assign an Ilokano style were necessarily made by Ilokanos, and that some melding of styles among ethnic groups is likely to have occurred. Without more specific information about the knifemakers of Pampanga and nearby areas, it will be difficult to sort out some of these sub-groups.
I wonder if perhaps in the context of Central Luzon, we should focus more on "style" than on origin (or attribution). The idea of a "Ilokano style" might be useful, and if, some fortunate day, we have a data set large enough, and well attributed enough, to identify a Pampangueño interpretation (or variation, or sub-style, etc.) of the "Ilokano style," then we can focus on such thing. But with the data set we have now...

I don't know. Just a thought.

Have fun regardless,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote